Compost Your Pumpkins
This Halloween, compost your pumpkins!
Don’t forget that residents and businesses in the Recology San Mateo County service area can have their Halloween pumpkins composted! It helps to reduce the amount of waste going to the landfill and is better for the environment.
- Over 1 billion pumpkins are produced every year.
- Pumpkins are full of rich nutrients such as zinc, iron & phosphorus.
- Zinc, iron and phosphorus are a great source of nutrients for your garden (if you have your own composting pile at home).
- Pumpkins are not only fun to decorate but delicious and healthy to eat!
- The word pumpkin originated from the Greek word Pepon which means large melon.
After you have removed the candles and decorations, simply place the pumpkins in your green Compost Cart or bin and set it out on your regular collection day.
Learn more about the composting program on Recology San Mateo County’s website.